Define it. Describe it. Ideas for the classroom.
How Motivation Affects Learning and Behavior
The term motivation is derived from the Latin verb movere (to move).
Motivation may be described as a state that energizes, directs and sustains behavior
Motivation has several effects on students’ learning and behavior.
- Motivation directs behavior toward particular goals.
- Motivation leads to increased effort and energy.
- Motivation increases initiation of and persistence in activities.
- Motivation affects cognitive processes.
- Motivation determines which consequences are reinforcing and punishing.
- Motivation often enhances performance.
Top 10 Ways to Motivate Students
1. Praise Students in Ways Big and Small
2. Expect Excellence
3. Spread Excitement Like a Virus
4. How to Motivate Students: Mix It Up
5. Assign Classroom Jobs
6. Hand Over Some Control
7. Open-format Fridays
8. Relating Lessons to Students’ Lives
9. Track Improvement
10. Reward Positive Behavior Outside the Classroom