My Weekly Top 5 Edu-live for Monday 5th March
The things that caught my biased eye since last week.
Remember- this is biased- it’s the things that caught my attention in the last week. The things I share on social, bookmark and ponder as potentially significant or intriguing. This past week I’ve been noticing GAMING and, as always #SEL popping up.
- GAMES LIKE MINECRAFT that are grabbing EDU ATTENTION
Sandbox Games i.e. online places which allow users to be creators of narratives.
- DREAMS is an upcoming sandbox video game developed by Media Molecule and published by Sony Interactive Entertainment for the PlayStation 4, scheduled for release in 2019, with the public beta released in 2018. The game puts focuses on ‘play, create and share’, and allows players to create user-generated content.
- HYTALE combines the scope of a sandbox with the depth of a roleplaying game, immersing players in a procedurally generated world where teetering towers and deep dungeons promise rich rewards. https://hytale.com/
- MINETEST An open source voxel game engine. Play one of our many games, mod a game to your liking, make your own game, or play on a multiplayer server. Available for Windows, macOS, GNU/Linux, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, and Android. https://www.minetest.net/
Thanks to Steven Reid from Immersive Minds for the leads.
- SAVE YOUR SPOT: March 20th Webinar Social and Emotional Skills To coincide with the release of Emotion and Cognition in the Age of AI + the release of the Salzburg Global Statement on SEL + the UN Day of Happiness, MSFT has sponsored an Education Week Webinar. Register and share here
- 10 BIG INSIGHTS on Teaching, Learning, and STEM Education: 100Kin10’s Trends Report for 2018Ten Trends by COREeducation notes WELL-BEING numero uno
Thanks @Sam Reich for this one.
- TEACHER SHORTAGES GROW, ALONGSIDE STOP-GAPS AND EVEN SOME INNOVATIVE SOLUTIONS
- BRINGING THE M BACK TO STEM
- STEM IS ENGINEERING THE FUTURE WORKFORCE, WHETHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT
- ANCHORING STEM IN JOY, CURIOSITY, AND EXPERIMENTATION
- BEYOND HARD SKILLS: STEM AS SOCIAL-EMOTIONAL LEARNING
Get them all here
- MINDFUL MARCH: The build up to our March 20th release
Even you can achieve March the 5th challenge!
Get the calendar in multiple languages here
- DOES HIGHER ED NEED TO REDISCOVER GENEROSITY? Interview with Kathleen Fitzpatrick, a professor of English at Michigan State University, an influential digital-humanities scholar, and the author of Generous Thinking: A Radical Approach to Saving the University
Read the full piece here Thanks to @Maria Langworthy for the lead.
Past editions of the LIVEFIVE on my blog www.sparvell.com
See you in around